Anderson Real Estate
Anderson, Texas is a small community that packs a big historical punch. Once the fourth-largest city in the state, Anderson is a both a time capsule to the bygone days and the neighboring zip code to the famous actor, Chuck Norris.
Fanthorp was the original name of the town, named for Henry Fanthorp, who purchased a large section of the land in Grimes County.
In 1834, Mr. Fanthorp built a house that grew into what is now known as the Fanthorp Inn. During the days of stage coaches, the Fanthorp Inn was the only facility used as a mail drop in the county. Mr. Fanthorp himself was the postmaster. It was also a tavern, designed and expanded to accommodate travelers or new residents to the community. Also, it was the site of the death of Kenneth Anderson, the last Vice President of the Republic of Texas. After Mr. Anderson's passing, the town was renamed Anderson in his honor.
Living in Anderson
Residents and visitors are welcomed today to the Fanthorp Inn, as it is now owned by the state parks system of Texas. Historical, political figures such as Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis were friends of Mr. Fanthorp's and were rumored to have graced the Inn's hallways.
Anderson, Texas is the county seat of Grimes County with the courthouse anchoring the surrounding commercial buildings. The stately courthouse was built in 1893 and hosted a very public gang member trial in the 1930's. The building itself is not the original courthouse, but the site of all the courthouses - four in total - has remained the same over the years.
The architecture is one of the most interesting in the state in the public facilities category. It is Italianate style with two grand, sweeping staircases that lead to the district courtroom. The structure itself is made from hand-formed red brick with complimentary limestone details. In 2002, the courthouse was restored under the Texas Historical Commission’s Courthouse Preservation Program.
Real Estate in Anderson
Today, Anderson holds on to its traditions but places emphasis on the future by way of the youth in the community. The Anderson-Shiro Consolidated School District is a core focus of the residents in Grimes County. The district has received numerous awards from the state, as well as federal programs and grants over the years in academic areas. Teachers in the district have been recipients of awards in several academic categories.
In mileage calculations, Anderson is not that far from the Bryan/College Station area, a little over 27 miles total from the two communities. Although Anderson is small in population size compared to its neighboring college town, it is stand-alone on the character. The city and surrounding areas are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Anderson is a smart alternative for professionals whose offices lie in larger, yet close by cities. There is room to roam on Texas-sized estates, as well as a considerably reduced traffic scenario compared to its bigger neighbors. But, don't take our word for it, come see for yourself.