Bryan Real Estate
Bryan, Texas began as League No. 10 of Stephen F. Austin's original land, granted to Austin by the Republic of Texas.
Austin (yes, like the capital of Texas) deeded William Joel Bryan, his nephew, a portion of League No. 10 as a gift on May 24, 1855. Five years later, Bryan sells a portion of his portion to the HT&C railroad folks to bring the new train technology to this little hamlet.
Side note: William Joel Bryan married his stepfather's niece, Lavinia Perry in 1840. The newlyweds lived on Durazno (Spanish for peach) Plantation, a 500-acre gift from Lavinia's family. The couple lived on the plantation, grew cotton, raised cattle until death they did part. Severe storms that terrorized the land in the early 1900s destroyed the main home and servants quarters on the property.
Before the storms came through, a descendant of the couple donated their bedroom furniture to the Brazoria County History Museum. Rumor has it, Lavinia's spirit was gifted to the museum, along with the antique bed she slept in for years.
Bryan, Texas was the terminus of the HT&C railroad, post Civil War. The reconstruction days brought trade back to the rail lines and soon (the 1870s) Bryan was the trading center for all goods headed to North or Northwest Texas. The train would bring in grocery items, apothecary products, and traded merchandise from the south, and from the station the commodities were loaded on wagons headed for Waco or Dallas.
Enterprising merchants opened shops along the main street of Bryan to cater to the buyers and traders drawn in by the railroads. Banks, cafes, and, of course, real estate offices, sprung up all around the area, where the current Main Street in Bryan stands.
Agriculture was certainly a focus of early residents of Bryan. In 1876, a school opened up to help facilitate agriculture and Bryan's future farmers. That school is now Texas A&M (Agriculture & Machining).
Real Estate In Bryan
Education has always been a focus in Bryan. From the first public school to a major university, our area promotes learning at all levels. Our public school system serves approximately 16,000 students in 15 elementary, four middle schools, and four high schools.
The athletic programs that accompany these schools are equally impressive. Reading the list of accomplishments from these athletic departments is like a "Who's Who" compilation.
The Queen Theater purchased from the Sam B Wilson estate in 1938 by the Bryan Amusement company was remodeled to reflect state-of-the-art theater technology of the pre-WWI era. The neon sign that lights the marquee today drew patrons from all over the state. Luxury accommodations like custom seats and air conditioning provided guests with a comfortable environment in which to be entertained.
The Queen remains downtown today but is in a resurgence phase. Our Downtown Bryan organization is working diligently to restore to her former glory.
We would love for you to be a part of our remarkable community. Please let us know how we can make that happen.