Franklin Real Estate for Sale
Franklin was established in 1872 and is the county seat of Robertson County, located centrally among the Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio metroplexes. US79 is the major highway that serves the Franklin area. The highway starts near Texarkana and crosses all of East Texas ending in the Austin Metroplex. Franklin’s central location allows for the best of both the city and rural lifestyles – the same shopping and arts found in the big city are found in Franklin, along with the luxurious quiet country style of living.
Franklin currently has a population of 1,560 people and has an exemplary school system. Franklin ISD is a 2A school rated exemplary by the Texas Education Agency. There are three campuses within the district – Roland Reynolds Elementary, Franklin Middle School and Franklin High School.
History of Franklin
Franklin is a town of friendly people, near the geographic center of the county on an upland prairie drained by the branches of three creeks, Touchstone Branch, South Mineral Creek and Cedar Creek. Franklin was founded in 1880, but there was a small town called Morgan that was located there before Franklin. The vicinity was considered a part of “Old Franklin” as early as 1838, when the wilderness village was the seat of a large county under the Republic of Texas.
At one point in time, the population of Franklin reached 1,600 people, but during the past ninety years, the population has averaged one thousand people. Stock raising and truck farming are still the leading economic activities in the community. Truck farming is principally in tomatoes, watermelons and plums. Turkeys and chickens are raised by the hundreds of thousands and the production of eggs is a profitable business.
Quick Facts About Franklin:
- 2010 Census numbers – 1,560 in City limits, 16,622 in Robertson County.
Located in Central Texas on Highway 79, Franklin is:
- 35 miles to Bryan/College Station-home of Texas A&M University
- 60 miles south of Waco
- 100 miles east of Austin
- 130 miles north of Houston
- 130 miles south of Dallas
Public School System
- 2A Texas School rated Exemplary by the Texas Education Agency
- Covers 413 square miles of Eastern Robertson County
- Roland Reynolds Elementary offers pre-k to 5th Grade and has 37 teachers and 525 students
- Franklin Middle School educates grades 6-8 and has 32 teachers: 32 and 230 students
- Franklin High School serves grades 9-12 and has 36 teachers and 290 students
- Easterwood Airport in College Station is only 45 miles from Franklin.
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston is located 130 miles south.
Colleges and Universities
- Texas A&M University in College Station has an attendance of approximately 47,000 students and is located just 45 minutes away.
- Baylor University in Waco, with an attendance of 14,800, is located 70 miles north.
- San Houston State University in Huntsville has an attendance of 16,795 and is located 70 miles from Franklin.
- Blinn Junior College, Bryan Texas – 35 miles
Things to do in Franklin
You will never run out of things to do in the city of Franklin. A few of the main area attractions are:
- Pridgeon Community Center & Visitor Center
- Robertson County Courthouse
- Franklin Cemetery – Texas Historic Landmark
- El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail
- Texas Historic Brazos Trail
- Historic Gravesite of General Williams, a forage master for Hood’s Texas Brigade
- Oak Grove Country Club
- Franklin Ranch Community/Sports Park
Real Estate In Franklin
Franklin real estate for sale allows residents to have a work-life balance that is hard to achieve in this day and age. Large homes with multi-acre buffers allow for privacy, but with proximity to the larger cities like Dallas and Austin. If you are planning to make the move to the wonderful community of Franklin, we want to be your real estate partner and help you every step of the way on your search to find your next home.
We want to work with you to find your dream home in the amazing community of Franklin. Contact us today.